This ministry IS FUN!
Email to a Friend
Subscribe: Email, RSS
Posted by: Pastor Tim Mason on Tue, Aug 15, 2006
Support our youth, and build up your faith.August 14, 2006
Thank you so much for:
1. Taking time to look over this years’ very exciting Calvary by the Sea Lutheran Church OYEA (Oahu Youth Events and Activities) Confirmation program beginning with Confirmation Camp on August 25 – 26.
2. CONSIDERING BECOMING A PART OF OUR YOUTH MINISTRY SUPPORT TEAM/COMMITTEE.
In today’s world it is imperative for our young people to understand what they believe and their responsibilities within their church. This is the purpose of our confirmation program.
In order to make things easy, five of the Hukilau Churches on Oahu have decided that the ages of our confirmation program will mirror the public Middle School, therefore we expect our sixth through eighth grade members to participate in confirmation. The three years are divided into three basic units:
1) One year Old Testament studies
2) One year New Testament studies
3) Small Catechism (10 Commandments, Baptism, The Lord’s Prayer, Holy Communion, Apostles Creed, etc.)
There will be service projects interspersed throughout the year, including a youth led “Canning Hunger Drive” each Fall and Spring. Calvary by the Sea has done this in the past, and I hope we can revive this great idea!
The complete schedule for the year is included in this mailing, but the basic monthly schedule includes
1) One joint confirmation program per month on a Sunday from 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at one of our sister congregations, or at Calvary by the Sea on our designated Sunday
2) Our scheduled Wednesday nights at Calvary by the Sea from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., where we will share a meal at 6 p.m. and begin our program at 6:30 p.m.
The commitment and involvement of parents will be necessary for this program to be successful.
For parents, this is how you can help:
1) Meal preparation for Wednesday nights 6:00 to 6:30, and when we host a joint event.
2) Be a small group leader during the class time.
3) Assist in transportation on Wednesday nights and/or for the joint events.
4) Assist in music. If you play an instrument, please join us.
5) Ongoing PR and communication support, fund raising and PRAYER SUPPORT.
For 9th through 12th Graders:
If you are a ninth-grader and have not completed your confirmation studies, you should join us for this year. If you are a high school student who wants to have fun and learn something, or who would like to be a Youth Mentor, you are certainly welcome to join us. Please contact Pastor Tim at 377-5477 if you have any questions.
Along with our confirmation program, our Hukilau churches are organizing to provide a ministry program for our high school youth. This program will be called the OYEA High School Youth Program. Sometimes there will be an “All Youth OYEA event” which would include all students from 6th through 12th grade; sometimes there will be programs just for High School Youth.
The first meeting of our Youth Ministry Support Team will be August 23rd at 6:30 p.m., please contact the office and inform us if you are coming.
As of now, we are planning our first “All Youth OYEA Event” for Saturday September 9 when we will be going to Hawaiian Waters for ‘group building,’ i.e., getting to know each other by having a ton of fun. Joy of Christ will be organizing the September 9 program and we are still waiting on details. Calvary by the Sea will be responsible for the OYEA Christmas Party on December 17. The October event will be at Christ Lutheran in Mililani and the November event will be held at St. Johns in Kailua; the dates have not yet been finalized.
What is OYEA all about?
The purpose of OYEA (Oahu Youth Events and Activities) ministry is to provide a jointly-supported ministry with and for the youth of our Hukilau churches. It is broken up into two parts:
1) the OYEA confirmation program predominantly for the Middle School student
2) OYEA High School program meeting once a month, each event sponsored by one church each month.
Along with our monthly gatherings, we will attend Bible Camp each summer, participate in a service project, and sponsor a larger youth event in January of each year.
Leadership includes the pastors and youth leaders of Calvary by the Sea, Joy of Christ in Pearl City, Lutheran Church Honolulu, Christ Lutheran in Mililani, and St. John’s in Kailua.
We already have an OYEA Yahoo Calendar set up and I will be glad to share the login information for youth and parents involved with OYEA. In addition, we are working on an OYEA website.
It is just the beginning of the development of a comprehensive joint youth ministry program we hope will strengthen the faith of our youth, and therefore strengthen our church.
I look forward to working with our new Youth Ministry Support Team and developing an exciting and engaging program that our youth will be eager to attend and make their own.
Grace and peace,