The CBTS Education Committee met on Wednesday, Dec 5 at 4pm. In attendance were Pastor Tim, Renee Ako, Garret and Janet Pick, Karen Sisler, Yukio Hamada and Pam Park.
1. There is still a need for Sunday School teachers. Pam Park has volunteered to co-teach the 5th and 6th graders beginning in January, but there is still a vacancy for a co-teacher for the 3rd and 4th graders.
2. Curriculum materials for the elementary age groups will be ordered by Renee.
3. Pastor Tim will begin a Crossways Bible study group on January 10 from 6:30- 8:30. The group will meet on the 2nd and 4th Thursday each month. A banner will be obtained to advertise the study to the community.
4. The trolley ride was a success, with 35 participants. Many interested riders from the School were turned away, so it is suggested that we get 3 trolleys for the event next year. If we advertise earlier, it should not be difficult to fill all 3. With church banners on the trolley, this can be a great promotional tool as well as a fun fellowship event for church and school families.
5. Our next fellowship event will be an after-service picnic at the zoo on Sunday, December 30. This will be a kick-off for the "God's Global Barnyard" program to collect funds for the ELCA hunger and missions. It will be advertised to the congregation and the school families, with an adult fmily member required to attend with each participating child. The next fellowship event in the spring will be kite flying on Pentecost, May 11.
6. The November Noisy offering brought in over $500 for ANC. The effort will continue every Sunday in Lent, with funds being split between ELCA's Global Barnyard (we will decide which animals to buy depending on the funds collected) and our mission partners in Camerron. To boost participation, cans are being collected and will be decorated and distributed to each interested individual or family. Cards and bookmarks from ELCA will also be available as promotional materials. We will try to obtain some toy animals (cow, goat, turkey, fish and pig) to use as props.
7. VBS - The two most promising themes marketed for the upcoming year are Augsburg's Rainforest Adventure and Group's Jerusalem Marketplace Holy Land Adventure." Pam will try to examine some of the materials from each program while on the mainland, and a decision will be made next month. We are planning an evening program for July 14-18, probably from 5-8pm, beginning with a simple supper for involved families. Many volunteers will need to be recruited.
8. In other business, we will plan to have an appreciation dinner for Sunday School teachers at noon on Sunday, January 27, possible at the Blue Water Grill.
9. Our next meeting will be on Wednesday, January 9 at 4pm.
Please let me know if anything was omitted or misrepresented. Mahalo!