Posted by: Admin on Fri, Oct 13, 2017
Council of Deacons Meeting
August 17, 2017
- Call to Order and Roll Call –
Present were Tim Sprowls, Cheryl Tuitele, Lea Del Castillo, Pati Kickland, Kelly Holden, Mary Pat Ashby, Kim Bock, Kaui Lucas and Paul O. Jones. Pastor Tim Mason was on vacation. Also present were Tom Poole and Momi Martinez.
- The meeting was called to order at 6:03 p.m. with a quorum.
- Team Building Moment – Tim Sprowls
- Devotions – Tom Poole led devotions.
- July Minutes – There was a motion to approve the minutes by Kelly Holden, which was seconded by Mary Pat Ashby. Approved as written.
- Preschool – Momi Martinez
- Momi Martinez provided an updated annual budget. The updated budget included a request for $10,000 to buy new supplies and $25,000 to create scholarships for children in need.
- Preschool – Momi Martinez
Discussion mentioned that church members already receive a 10% discount but there was a request for preference given to church member families for the scholarships.
- Momi Martinez did change the budget spreadsheet from last year. She and our Bookkeeper took last year’s budget and modified it based on what is changing. Expenses are now broken down by classrooms so that you can see the difference in what is being spent by each class. This method allows teachers to have more say in what is being purchased for their classroom.
Tim Sprowls wanted to know about the repairs budget which states $1000 and seems small. Momi Martinez clarified that the repair budget has been listed under the church budget rather than the preschool budget in the past, so it actually increased from $300 to $1000.
- Momi Martinez is budgeting for a surplus on the budget plus there already exists surplus savings.
- Lea Del Castillo motioned to approve school budget, and Mary Pat Ashby seconded.
Discussion: Kim Bock would like to see more in the repair budget as a cushion. The repair budget change will move from $1,000.00 to $5,000.00 (sub 6310).
The Preschool budget was approved with the discussed change.
Momi Martinez has completed the main preschool door replacement, purchased the walkie-talkies and the security cameras are in place. The security is looking good and the new procedures are going well.
- Pastor’s Report – Pastor Tim Mason
Pastor Tim is on vacation, so there is no report.
- Music and Worship Report – Tom Poole
Tom Poole went over the upcoming worship services and events into October but there may be changes as needs arise.
- Starting Sunday, August 20, Jon Osorio will be preaching and on August 27 the Punahou chaplain, Lauren Buck-Medeiros, will preach.
- There was a discussion around upcoming Saturday services resuming and a desire to know how it was working. After discussion, Saturday services will resume in September as scheduled.
- Reformation Sunday – Pati Kickland suggested creating a sub-committee on the Reformation since it’s the 500th anniversary. There was a consensus by the COD to form the committee. Pati Kickland volunteered to chair the committee and will report back as needed.
- PAC has moved to Mondays from 4:30-6:30 p.m. for rehearsals instead of Sundays and there will be three mini-performances instead of one large performance.
- Pati Kickland requested that a notice about the rehearsal change go out via the Calvary Caller and email as some parents didn’t get notified. Tom Poole will also make an announcement during worship services.
- Tom Poole stated that it is imperative that a 3rd teacher be added to PAC to assist in instruction and management of over 22 first grade through middle school students. This addition needs to occur now, and a candidate has been identified. The teaching methodology is being changed to include more age- and skill-specific training in song, movement, and drama for the beginning PAC students in the first through third grades, and more challenging vignettes for the skilled fourth through middle school students. This means the fall term will focus primarily on developing skill-sets, and shorter presentations. The spring term will focus on the production of a specific musical. The longer-term goal is the development of a Performing Arts program that reaches from the first grade into the High School and adult age brackets. There was a consensus by the COD to approve this request.
- Tom Poole made a recommendation for the hiring of a childcare worker to assist during Sunday School. He recommends:
- That the job title be changed to Sunday School Aid—Childcare, and the job description be rewritten to include “to serve as an aid and assistant to the Calvary Sunday School teacher during Sunday School sessions.”
- In the interim period after Christmas and before the Spring Sunday School sessions resume, the person serves as the childcare/babysitter.
- In the long summer season (when Sunday School is not in session) I recommend the employment of a Nanny Service to provide childcare for both the 7:30 and 10 am worship services.
After discussion the COD came to a consensus to place the Sunday School Aid on hold until the Youth Director position is hired.
- Treasurer’s Report – Mary Pat Ashby
- Attendance is lower than what we’ve been seeing.
- In the General Fund we’re doing OK. Salary is under budget and non-salary budget is as budgeted, so we’re ahead on net income this month.
- The balance sheet is in the black.
- There is a new sheet with separate accounting for the General fund, Lau fund and Heffrin fund.
- There will be a monthly report with what each area spends and what is remaining in the budget.
- Mary Pat Ashby is also creating separate budgets for Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and the Youth Director position.
- Currently outstanding on combined budget due to overage on Vacation Bible School this past summer.
- Building and Grounds – Kurt Mencel
Kurt Mencel was sick, so Kaui Lucas gave his report. The committee is looking at plans and blue prints which include:
- expansion of the camera security system
- increased landscaping (This has occurred and is continuing to be planned.)
- The circuit breaker box in Ohana Lani, which was broken and they are determining if it needs updating.
In the closet behind the preschool office there are several items (possibly permits) that need to be reviewed and inventoried.
- Staff Support – Pat Wong
- The Youth Director Committee met and they will be hiring the Youth Director candidate.
- The Staff Support Committee created a job posting for the Childcare Aid.
- There was a request that the church staff ensure, by coordinating between themselves, that the church office is staffed from 8:30-5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Access to the Calvary church office needs to be given to all staff.
- The Staff Support Committee will address this issue.
- Campus Security
The question of campus security was raised. There was a request to form a security sub-committee to review the need for a security guard and that this sub-committee should meet at least quarterly.
- New Business
- Education Programs – finalizing
- Vacation Bible School – The church needs to lock in the date. The Youth Director would likely need to be involved.
- Sunday School – Everything is set for teaching this year.
- Proposal for Youth Director – A proposal was written up to offer Brister Thomas the position for the interim Youth Director. The Position title would be Interim Director of Youth Ministry.
- Cheryl Tuitele motioned to approve the Youth Director proposal as written and Kim Bock seconded.
- Education Programs – finalizing
After discussion, a consensus was reached that we should review in January the need for the position to be permanent. Approved.
- Old Business
- Liaisons for Committees - Tim Sprowls
This was pushed forward to next month.
- Additional Business
- Executive Session – Pastor Tim
- Adjournment and Closing Prayer
- The meeting was adjourned at 8:24 p.m.
Notes taken by Kelly Holden in Jennifer’s absence, and the final notes are respectfully submitted by Jennifer Welch, Secretary.