Posted by: Admin on Thu, Oct 6, 2016
Calvary-by-the-Sea Lutheran Church
Council of Deacons Meeting
September 16, 2016
1) Call to Order and Roll Call The meeting was called to order at 6:10 p.m. by Jennifer Welch. In attendance: Mary Pat Ashby, Kaui Lucas, Cheryl Tuitele, Pastor Tim, Paul O. Jones, Mike May, Bryce Harken and Lisa May Montano.
Also in attendance: Momi Martinez, Shelby Yuu, Tom Poole
2) Devotions Devotions were led by Pastor Tim.
3) Approval of Minutes from the August 2016 Council Meeting Motion to approve by Kaui Lucas and seconded by Lisa May Montano. Unanimous
- Montessori Preschool - Momi Martinez
- We are off to a great start! Ten teachers attended teacher installation.
- Calvary Children’s Choir has 13 participants
- SMARTY Dance and Hula lessons were cancelled due to only 3 applicants.
- Staffing: Momi is interviewing for substitute teachers. Currently, they only have part-time substitutes.
- Financials: Net income in August of $19,465.00 but there was only one payroll, so that should be less at the end of September.
- Enrollment is at 59 students.
- 9/22 Uncle Wayne Concert
- 9/22 & 23 School Pictures
- 9/26 Health Consultant will review our records and policies
- 10/12 & 13 Holiday Collection Fundraiser distributed
- 10/13 4:00 – 6:00 Parent Workshop
- Treasurer - Mary Pat Ashby
- Stewardship offerings were 17% below budget YTD and Wedding income was 9% below budgeted YTD. The next increase in weddings is in October, although UI Productions forecasted only 900 weddings by year end as compared to a budget of 960. Total expenses are under budget by 8%.
- Net Income shows a loss of 76% more than budgeted due to decreased revenue, particularly stewardship giving.
- Action Plan: Mary Pat met with program managers this month to determine cost savings. A total of $34,600 was identified for 2016.Additionally capital projects of $22,000 also will not be expensed.
- Mary Pat presented the budget and a draft letter home to the congregation explaining our current status. Cheryl noted that we should obtain permission from Paul Tomita to send the wedding business numbers to our members.
- Mike motioned that we send a letter with noted corrections from the meeting, pending approval by Paul Tomita, to the members of the congregation. Kaui 2nded. Five in favor and two opposed. Passed.
- Kim Bock budgeted one trip each for Tom and Tim this year. Pastor Tim would like to attend a second leadership conference. Cheryl Tuitele motioned to approve the trip for the agreed upon amount of no more than $1000.00 total. Lisa May Montano seconded. Unanimous.
- The full report is on file in the church office.
- Music and Worship - Tom Poole
- Item from August: PAC. Clara Whippy decided in August that she couldn’t continue as director. Julie Okumura will assume the PAC Director duties for the Fall of 2016.
- Friday, September 16th at 6:30 p.m.: The choir will participate and sing at the Interfaith Service, Honpa Hongwanji on the Pali Highway
- Wednesday, September 28th, 6:00 p.m. Memorial for Peter Matsumoto at the Hosoi Garden Mortuary. The choir has been asked to sing.
- October 2nd, 3:00 p.m. Blessing of the animals
- Wednesday, October 12th: ANC Fundraising concert. The Lindsey Wilson College Choir will perform along with our own choir.
- October 16th: Amy Butler will be our guest preacher at the 10:00 a.m. service.
- October 2nd Temple Talk, October 23rd, Stewardship Talk, October 30th Stewardship Luncheon
- November is the first Sunday in Advent.
- November 20 after 10 a.m. service the Sanctuary will be adorned for Advent
- December 11 is Marathon Sunday. Since the Hwy will be closed to traffic during our regular services, church will be held at 7:00 p.m.
- Pastor - Tim Mason
- October 1st – Hukilau Discussion “Are Numbers Important?” 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. to be hosted by CBTS.
- Pastor Tim submitted his daily schedule from August.
- Confirmation class has begun and we have 8 registered participants.
- Bristor Thomas will be our volunteer high school youth director and will be starting soon.
- Kelly Holden has begun Sunday School.
- Pastor visited and worked with Dave Olson to improve his living conditions and contact the family. Dave is now back in Minnesota with his son and family.
- Chuck McKeon fell from a ladder and suffered brain injury. He passed away an we celebrated Chuck’s life on September 11.
- Staff Support Committee - Cheryl Tuitele Postponed to October meeting
- Stewardship Committee - Jack Ashby
5) New Business
- Committee Liaisons and/or Chairs - Pastor Tim
- Fellowship - Paul O. Jones
- Education -
- Adult Education - Lisa May Montano
- Stewardship -
- Worship - Lisa May Montano
- Concert Series -
- Social Justice -
- High School Ministry -
- Evangelism -
- VBS -
- Preschool - Jennifer Welch
- Website – Kaui Lucas, Kelly Holden, Mike May
- Delegates to Pacfica Spring Assembly - Pastor Tim
- The COD will think about possible people who would make good delegates.
6) Old Business
a) ANC Kitchen - Cheryl Tuitele The Board of Water Review is done, the architect has sent all his designs, and we are permitting the bathroom and office as well. Electrical is being donated.
b) Budget Requests for 2017 from each budget area: Mary Pat will ask the people in charge of each budget item to submit a proposed budget.
c) All Church Survey: Mission and Goal Setting Postponed until October, as Geoff is unable to be here to lead this. This can be part of the Discussion at the October 1st Hukilau meeting.
7) Adjournment and Closing Prayer was led by Pastor Tim.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
8) Next COD Meeting: October 20, 2016