Posted on Mon, Oct 17, 2016
Calvary-by-the-Sea Lutheran Church
Council of Deacons Meeting
October 13, 2016
1) Call to Order and Roll Call: Attending: Geoff Hamilton, Paul O Jones, Mike May, Jon Osorio, Kaui Lucas, Mary Pat Ashby, Pastor Tim, Bryce Harken, Cheryl Tuitele, Lea Del Castillo, Pat Wong, Jennifer Welch. Also in attendance: Tom Poole. The meeting was called to order at 5:58 p.m.
2) Devotions were led by Pastor Tim.
3) Approval of Minutes from the September 2016 Council Meeting: The minutes heading needs to be updated to say October 16th and Draft Minutes. The Pastor’s trip cost cap should be amended to be hotel, car and meals is not to exceed $1000.00. The church has already purchased the airfare and registration on his behalf. Mike May made a motion to approve the minutes as amended and Paul O. Jones seconded. Unanimous.
Stewardship Offerings were 16% below budget year-to-date.
Wedding income was below budget YTD by 8%. The next increase is expected in October, although UI Productions has forecasted only 870 weddings by year-end, as compared to a budget of 960.
Total YTD income (adjusted) was below budget by 10%.
Total expenses were under budget by 9%.
A recent review of planned expenditures for the year identified savings in several areas. For example, the fewer number of weddings has reduced the expense for Japanese Language Bibles. The Sunday School program, which began in September with some preparatory expenses occurring in August, was originally budgeted for the full year.
Building and Grounds re-carpeted the sanctuary, sealed the driveway, and moved the air conditioner in Ohana Lani (preschool) during the two-week campus closure in late July. The cost of each of these projects met the definition of a capital expenditure. Therefore, their cost will be spread over the next 7-10 years as depreciation expense.
A loss (negative income) was budgeted for this time period (year-to-date). The actual loss was nearly twice the amount budgeted, primarily due to decreased revenues.
A letter to the membership, which projects a loss at year-end, was approved last month with revisions, but was not sent due to a change in projections and the receipt of a large estate gift. A revised letter is being submitted for approval to the Council at this October meeting, and will be mailed out the next week.
Pastor Larry Gardner passed away October 10th at the Kuakini Hospital ER. Pastor was with him at the ER and he knew he wasn’t alone. The service will be October 29th at 2 p.m.
5) New Business
6) Old Business
7) Executive Session – Financial Discussion
8) Additional New Business
Cheryl Tuitele motioned that based on the financial guidelines of the church it is recommended that we open new Morgan Stanley accounts to support designated and/or undesignated gifts. Jon Osorio seconded. Unanimous.
Mary Pat Ashby, as treasurer, will open a Morgan Stanley account for this purpose.
9) Adjournment and Closing Prayer The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 and Pastor led us in closing prayer.
10) Next COD Meeting November 17, 2016 at 6 p.m.
No messages have been posted.
You must first create an account to post.