Posted on Tue, Jan 17, 2017
Calvary-by-the-Sea Lutheran Church
Council of Deacons Meeting
December 15, 2016
1) Call to Order and Roll Call The meeting was called to order by Jennifer Welch at 6:08 p.m. In attendance: Mary Pat Ashby, Lea Del Castillo, Pat Wong, Lisa May Montano, Cheryl Tuitele, Jennifer Welch, Pastor Tim Mason, Jon Osorio, Kaui Lucas, and later, Geoff Hamilton. Also present: Momi Martinez, Tom Poole.
2) Devotions Devotions based on Romans 8:23-25 were led by Pastor Tim Mason followed by prayer.
3) Approval of Minutes from the November 2016 Council Meeting Pat Wong motioned to approve the minutes of the November 2016 Council Meeting and Mary Pat Ashby seconded. Unanimous.
Stewardship offerings were 12% below budget year-to-date (YTD). This represents a slight improvement from last month, which was 13% below budget YTD.
Wedding income was below budget YTD by 7%. UI Productions has forecast only 870 weddings by year-end, as compared to the budget of 950.
Total YTD income was below budget by 8%, an improvement over last month which was 10% below budget.
Total year-to-date expenses were under budget 8%. Personnel have managed their budgets to maintain the cost savings that was predicted earlier in the year when the downturn in revenue was recognized.
A positive net income was budgeted for this time period (year-to-date). However, the actual net income was a small loss – nearly break even. This is primarily due to decreased revenues.
The year-end projection for FY 2016 has been updated. Income is projected slightly higher than previously, and expenses are well controlled; a net loss is still projected, but is considerably lower than previous estimates.
5) New Business
After a presentation and discussion of the proposed 2017 annual budget, there was a consensus that the first proposal of the budget is looking good. We will vote on the budget in January when John Keys has finalized the year-end finances and Mary Pat has put the final touches on the Budget.
Mary Pat also shared an initial proposal for the Heffrin Gift Fund monies. We will consider and vote on the initial proposal for how to use the Heffrin Gift Fund monies in January. COD members were asked to reread the gift fund guidelines in their book and to prayerfully consider ideas for Mission giving within the Heffrin Funds.
6) Old Business
7) Adjournment and Closing Prayer The meeting was closed with the Lord’s Prayer and adjourned at 8:52 p.m.
8) Next COD Meeting January 19, 2016
No messages have been posted.
You must first create an account to post.