“Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances;
For this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit”
(I Thessalonians 5:16 – 19)
My Goal for 2007 is to strengthen the Body of Christ called Calvary by the Sea -- to invite the Lord to help us strengthen our heads, our hearts and our hands.
Overview of 2006: Outcomes
1) The youth went to the mainland for Bible Camp at Wapogasset Lutheran Bible Camp in
Amery WI for one week of fun, faith, music and study.
2) The Stephen Ministry program increased both the number of Care Givers and the number of Care Receivers. We now have 14 Care Givers and 5 Stephen Leaders.
3) Worked with the Oahu Hukilau churches to develop a more comprehensive youth program. This program – OYEA: Oahu Youth Education and Activities is a joint program made
up of churches on Oahu that will be youth driven for the sake of building up the faith of our
4) Navigating Transitions: Our Music and Worship coordinator, Dr. Arthur Harvey retired after 10 years and after an extensive review process has hired a new Liturgical Arts Coordinator, Dr. Tom Poole. A new parish assistant, Stephanie Hadrick, has also been hired. Many thanks to the Personnel Committee in finding the right people and to the Music and Worship Committee for putting together meaningful worship during the 6 month transition time. .
Goals for 2007:
Head: To establish a comprehensive educational program for everyone from preschoolers through seniors.
Action steps: 1) Begin a Lectionary Bible study Thursdays 10 a.m. (Begun on Jan. 18)
2) Begin Crossways Bible Study Thursday 6:30 p.m. (Beginning Feb. 22)
3) Create a committee to oversee adult educational opportunities such as visiting speakers, public forums, etc.
Heart: To come together in fellowship activities to strengthen our relationships and create an atmosphere to welcome new members. Create a team that will go out to the sick and shut-ins with visits and communion elements.
Action steps: 1) Begin a series of fellowship meals – “Hang Loose on the Beach” (Starts Jan. 26!)
2) Establish Hospitality and Fellowship Committees to put on and promote events
to strengthen our opportunities for meaningful interaction.
3) Involve the Stephen’s Ministers and others to create a team approach to visitation.
Hands: There is no greater joy than to be the hands of Christ provided we are serving according to the gifts that he has given us. This portion of the goals is absolutely key for meeting the goals of Head and Heart.
Action steps: 1) Conduct a Spiritual Gifts inventory of our congregation.
2) Have an implementation Committee work with our Parish Assistant to match gifts
with potential tasks and contact the people to establish a successful match.